Stack 15 : A Chest and Tricep Workout for Mass and PRs
Most chest and bench press workouts are boring. Random sets by random reps, blah, blah, blah. You’ve tried them, made OK progress and moved on.
But you want more than “OK progress.” You’re hungry for gains. Bench press gains. Chest gains. Tricep gains.
Let’s be real here. Having a weak bench press sucks. There’s nothing worse than hitting the gym and struggling to push up 200 pounds. This type of weakness is embarrassing. And when your arm size sucks too… double whammy.
Triceps are the red-headed stepchild of arm training. Bros work them, but not nearly as hard as they do their biceps.
Well I have news for you. If you want freaky arms, then it’s time to kill your triceps. They can take a lot of punishment AND the triceps make up 2/3rds of your overall arm size. No matter how big you build up your biceps, your arms will still look unimpressive without serious triceticon mass.
Now let’s not forget an important, but overlooked point:
If you want to crush bench press PRs you need to get your triceps as big and strong as humanly possible.
This chest and tricep workout does just that.
Stack 15 – Brutal Hard Work for a Bigger Bench and Chest
Stack 15 is a simple but brutal way to pack on chest and triceps mass while also beefing up your bench press. This chest and tricep workout is structured as follows:
Stack 15 – You will start with 5 rep sets and proceed to “stack” an additional 5 reps until you reach your final set. The goal for this final set is 15 or more reps. If you reach this goal, you will add 5 pounds to your “Stack 15” bench press work the following week.
Your working sets will be with 60% of your one rep max. If you don’t your your max, you can calculate it here using any recent set and rep scheme.
Here is the Stack 15 set and rep scheme:
- Warmup Set #1 – Bar x 10-15
- Warmup Set #2 – 40% of one rep max x 5 reps
- Warmup Set #3 – 50% of one rep max x 5 reps
- Working Set #1 – 60% of one rep max x 5 reps
- Working Set #2 – 60% of one rep max x 5 reps
- Working Set #3 – 60% of one rep max x 10 reps
- Working Set #4 – 60% of one rep max x 10 reps
- Working Set #5 – 60% of one rep max x 15+reps
Only your final set is performed for as many reps as possible. Remember, if you are able to reach 15 or more reps on this set you will add 5 pounds to each of these sets the following week.
Your Stack 15 chest workout will be followed with:
- Incline Dumbbell Bench Press – 3 sets x 12 reps. Use the same weight for each set. When you are able to perform 12 reps per set, grab heavier dumbbells.
- Machine Chest Press – 4 sets x 10 reps. Use the same weight for each set. When you are able to perform 10 reps per set, use more weight.
- Pec Dec – 4 sets x 12 reps. Use the same weight for each set. When you are able to perform 12 reps per set, use more weight.
Now it’s time for triceps.
- Lying Triceps Extensions – 3 sets x 10 reps. Use an EZ bar. These are NOT taken to your forehead like skullcrushers. The bar should travel to the midway point on the top of your head. Remember that the long head of the triceps performs 2 functions: rotation and extension. We will be working both functions with this exercise. When you are able to perform 10 reps per set, use more weight.
- Rope Cable Triceps Extensions – 3 sets x 12 reps. When you are able to perform 12 reps per set, use more weight.
- Close Grip Bench Press – 3 sets x 10 reps. When you are able to perform 10 reps per set, use more weight.
|Chest and Tricep Workout|
|Stack 15 – Bench Press||5||See Above|
|Incline Dumbbell Bench Press||3||12|
|Machine Chest Press||4||10|
|Lying Triceps Extension||3||10|
|Rope Cable Triceps Extension||3||12|
|Close Grip Bench Press||3||10|
Diet and Supplementation
The bench press, more than any other lifts (in my opinion), requires calories to spur a steady level of improvement. Therefore, this program is best run while using a lean, clean bulk. I recommend the following:
- 300-500 calories over your maintenance level
- 180-220 grams of protein per day
- 25-35% of your daily calories from fats
I recommend the following supplementation:
- MTS Machine Whey – 1 to 3 scoops per day to help you get your protein intake up.
- Huge Gainer – 3 scoops immediately after training. Huge Gainer has a perfect 3:1 carb to protein ratio which is exactly what you need after a session like this.
- MTS Machine Fuel – 2 scoops in 24 ounces of water intra-workout.
- Clach and Vasky Stack – The ultimate pre-workout energy and pump combo.