Healthy, Protein-Rich Apple Pie Cake Recipe
Apple pie is one of my favorite desserts. I am always willing to have a piece, regardless of my current nutritional requirements. This dessert combines apples with an apple pie flavored cake to provide a tasty, yet healthy treat that anyone can easily make.
The cake is a coconut flour-based cake that utilizes MTS Nutrition’s Apple Pie Whey and other macro friendly ingredients designed to easily fit into most nutritional strategies. An optional ounce of pecans is included in this recipe, adding 18 grams of healthy unsaturated fats, but you can easily drop 200 calories from the batch by omitting them.
MTS Nutrition CEO Marc Lobliner discusses the new and amazing American Apple Pie flavor.
- ½ cup Coconut Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 scoop MTS Apple Pie Protein Powder
- 1 TBSP Truvia
- 1 container Apple Pie flavored Yogurt, 5.3 ounces (I used Yoplait, you can use any brand and/or vanilla flavor)
- 2 Eggs
- ½ cup Cashew/Almond/Cow Milk
- 1 ½ cups Egg Whites (from a carton, don’t waste yolks)
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- One 20-ounce can of sugar free apple pie filling/topping
- One ounce of pecan halves
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Divide pecans into two piles; chop one half into little pieces and keep the other half to put on the top of the cake.
- Mix coconut flour, baking powder, protein powder and Truvia in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix yogurt, eggs, milk of choice, egg whites and vanilla extract in a bowl, preferably with a stand mixer.
- Pour dry ingredients into bowl with wet ingredients and mix completely. It will be a thin batter.
- Add pecan pieces to the batter and mix.
- Pour can of Sugar free apple pie filling into the bottom of a cake pan and spread the apple pieces out evenly.
- Pour cake batter on top of apples and allow it to evenly settle on top of the apples. Add pecan halves on top of the batter.
- Place in oven and cook for 50-55 minutes. It is ok for some of the apple pie filling to bubble up through the cake. Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick into the cake and remove from oven if none of the cake sticks to it.
- Allow to cool completely, overnight would be best.
Calorie and macro breakdown per serving; makes 12 servings:
- Calories: 107
- Fat: 4g (1.8 saturated)
- Carbs: 9g
- Protein: 9g